– Recently a book was released by Jason Louv called
“John Dee and the Empire of Angels: Enochian Magick and the Occult Roots of the Modern World“.
It suggests that John Dee, aside from being the original “007” coined the term “Empire” and in fact helped to bring about the British Empire, magickally and otherwise.
– For some reason I was recently thinking about how the Nazis used to burn a lot of their enemies’ books in order to suppress/repress the spread of the thought contained therein.
– Not too long before that, at the end of the 19th century, Sigmund Freud developed his theory of “Repression”. British Magician Austin Osman Spare adopted the idea into his theory of Magick and developed a Sigil Magick method involving the deliberate forgetting or repressing of a Sigil that has been charged in order to increase its potency by implanting it in the subconscious mind.
– Which brings us to a recent “hypersigil” called “Liber Al Vel Legis” received by Aleister Crowley in 1904. It can perhaps be considered the textual basis for the entire Aeon of Horus..
– There is a suggestion in Liber Al Vel Legis to destroy it after the first reading. Those less familiar with Magick will perhaps be astonished at this and believe it to be a ploy to sell more books. Those more familiar with Magick and in particular the theories mentioned above (Repression, deliberate forgetting) may recognize that the mechanism of destroying the book after its reading, will more easily act to implant its contents in the subconscious mind while the conscious mind is likely to forget most of its contents.
– Wilhelm Reich, a onetime student of Freud, saw his books burned, not in Nazi Germany, which by the way he escaped, but in the US, where he sought to live a new life.
- Freud initially discovered and defined the concept of involuntary repression.
- Liber Al Vel Legis introduced the concept of deliberate repression for Magickal purposes via the suggested destruction of itself. It further states that its study is forbidden, another key to deliberate repression.
- The Nazis, in their burning of unwanted texts may have involuntarily produced the opposite of what they had intended. By repressing their opponents’ works through fire, bans and various other threats and actions, they may in fact, according to the theory of deliberate magickal repression, have magickally added to their potency. (Note that the term “holocaust” historically signifies a sacrificial burning on an altar) Note that since 1945 a lot of these texts have found plenty of support internationally and it was during the 1960’s when their “Weimar Vibe” perhaps found its culmination.
- Interestingly, it was Hitler and his National Socialists, who permanently handicapped Dee’s British Empire via the fighting of WWII, to the point that the “Empire of Angels” as Louv calls it, was no longer sustainable and colony after colony became independent. The political Equinox of the Gods, as one system of Magick (Enochian) gave way to another (Thelemic).